Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

David writes:

> Guessing and trying?

That would require tens of thousands or even millions of bounces for every
successful mailing attempt.  I don't think anyone is doing it that way.

> Online directory provided by her email provider?

Which e-mail providers are providing online directories?  And how many of
these directories allow you to extract addresses without specifying any
search parameters (such as a name)?

> Not understanding risks, she joins a seniors mail list?

Possible, but not likely.

> Someone she corresponds with blasts an email to
> a bunch of folks leaving all addresses exposed,
> and one of the addressees does some action which
> exposes the email to a spammer's harvesting process?

This is getting more and more farfetched.

> Or more explicitly, someone she knows copies her
> in a post to a mailing list which is being harvested.

A list to which she doesn't belong?  Again, this seems unlikely.

> The point being that it isn't difficult to end up
> in the spammer's email address lists.

I have quite a few addresses that remain untouched.  Only the ones for which
an obvious harvesting path exists have received spam.