Re: Spam

on 5/31/2003 10:42 PM Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> We're starting to see the rise of zombie networks of trojaned machines
> to send spam, similar to the DDoS networks.  Which makes Paul Vixie's
> comments even more important:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110918,00.asp talks about this
from another perspective.

If worms are going to be sending out stuff on behalf of the user (whether
that be copies of itself, or spam as in this case), then no amount of
identity information will be able to prevent it. I mean, even with all of
the proposals put forth here, it would still be impossible to filter worms
without disabling all file attachments everywhere, since some users are
always going to open attachments, or are going to run bad clients.

However, having verified identity information (the sender, the host, the
domain) *will* assist in enforcement against worms: "we know your user is
infected, here's the proof."