Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

Tony writes:

> 100M users * 1/30hr = 3.3M hours   ; and that
> happens every day.

Each day contains 100M x 24 = 2400 M hours.  3.3 M hours is thus 1/8 of 1
percent.

> I have to adjust my filters at least once a month
> to keep the volume down.

I just delete most of it by hand.  It's easy enough to recognize.

> There is also a tendancy to overlook the effects
> of real scale.

I see only speculation and exaggeration with respect to the cost of spam.
It's very annoying, but it's not very expensive.

> Clearly you have never heard of the devices designed
> to block commercials ...

I've heard of them, but they are not widely used.  Nor is anyone complaining
about advertising in magazines or newspapers, although often a large part of
both is taken up by it.