RE: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> That isn't millions of hours per day.  I get hundreds of spam
> messages a day, and it only takes me a minute or two each day
> to delete them; often not even that.  The filters are set up
> just once.

100M users * 1/30hr = 3.3M hours   ; and that happens every day.

I have to adjust my filters at least once a month to keep the volume
down. If you have a set that only needs to be set up once, please share
them with the list. Maybe all the mail services could put those in place
and we wouldn't need to do anything more.

> I think there is a great tendency to confuse annoyance with
> real, tangible losses (of time or money).

There is also a tendancy to overlook the effects of real scale.

> I find television commercials to be a tremendous annoyance,
> but they don't cause me any losses.  And it's interesting
> that nobody seems to object to them, even though television
> programs are interrupted literally every few minutes by them
> (which, when you think about it, is exceedingly bizarre).

Clearly you have never heard of the devices designed to block
commercials ...