Re: spam

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> > Even if 1 in 12 people operated a business, they wouldn't be able to
> > send an email to every person in the US on every day, certainly not
> > on a 56K dialup, or residential service line.
>
> Why do you think the bulk sends would happen over dialup?  There are
> already plenty of spam-for-hire outfits who will happily spam for you.
> I get spam advertising them nearly every day.

Most individuals in the "22 million" only have dialup.  Most spamhouses
also don't have the capacity to send 7359 * 300 million spams per day.

> > The IRS reports that there were 5.7 million firms with employees.
> > The vast majority are 1 employee owner/operator firms, with
> > essentially residential internet service.
>
> Even if you assume sole proprietorships won't spam, that's only a
> reduction by a factor of four.  That only brings you down to 1840
> messages/day/mailbox, which is still 100 times more than most people
> would be willing to deal with.

I'm not assuming anything of the sort.

I'm asserting that most sole proprietorships don't have (nor will they
ever have) the connectivity required to send 300 million spams per day,
or 3 million spams per day.

SO this 7359.hmtl is nothing other than anti-spammer scare tactics.

Actually, I get about 250 spams per day. All hand filtered, and saved.
(and it still costs me practically nothing) At 1840 per day, I might turn
to more automated methods.

		--Dean