Re: A Good Schism Brightens Anyone's Day (was: A Simple Question)

> Today, dial-up concentrators usually have an address
> range that it used to assign addresses to people that dial in. That
> means at most a handful of routes per dial-up concentrator in the
> interior routing protocol. If everyone has their own /48, that means a
> route in the IGP for each customer that's online. There are no hard and
> fast rules about how many routes you can have in an IGP, but somewhere
> between 10k and 1M you run into trouble.

this is an interesting point, but I think it has more to do with whether
the prefixes are statically bound to customers than the length of those
prefixes.  why would  giving customers static /64s result in fewer routes in
your IGP than giving them static /48s?   in neither case is there a direct
correspondence between the customer's address and the concentrator.