Re: Internet Draft Guidelines Require PreciseFormatting?

Michael,

We have "consistent canonical page numbers" in RFCs, which are stable documents. Citations to page numbers in I-Ds are just an invitation to trouble and confusion, since an external page reference to some particular material in, e.g., draft-...-01 is unlikely to be stable into draft-...-03 and draft-...01 is unlikely to be readily available. Of course, this is also one of the reasons why our formal position is that I-Ds are not to be referenced or cited: when someone violates that rule, they are on their own, and neither page numbers nor paragraph/ section numbers are going to help them much.

john