Re: A simple question

Thus spake "Daniel Senie" <dts@senie.com>
> At 01:00 PM 4/20/2003, Richard Carlson wrote:
> >The question is - how do we provide some feedback to apps that
> >they are trying to cross a scope boundary that it's a permanent error
> >condition (5xx in SMTP verbiage)?  One proposed notification
> >method is the site-local prefix.  Other methods can be created, but
> >something needs to be done and simply killing site-locals and
> >ignoring the underlying scoping issue is a non-starter.
>
> You mean aside from applications understaning that an ICMP
> Destination Unreachable / Administratively Prohibited response from
> the site firewall?

Many firewalls simply drop packets which are prohibited without sending ICMP
indiscriminately.

> For that matter, IPv6 machines arguably could try their Site Local
> address and be given that same feedback from the border router or
> firewall, and use the response as an indication to go use their assigned
> global address.

The vast majority of applications do not pick their source address, nor is
there a compelling reason for them to do so.  A large number of applications
don't even handle multiple destination addresses properly, so expecting this
additional intelligence for the source address is irrational.