Re: A simple question

Thus spake "Keith Moore" <moore@cs.utk.edu>
> > Also, I'm wondering how the SL/1918 address-scoping debate
> > plays in the context of firewalls.  Don't firewalls provide an even
> > more random form of address scoping that apps must cope with?
> > Or not?

> Scoped addresses muddy this picture, because experience indicates
> that apps will be expected to cope with a mixture of scoped and
> global addresses.  Once scoped addresses are introduced, the app
> has to perform functions traditionally performed by the network. If
> host A cannot reach host B, it might be due to policy or a network
> failure, or it might be that the address that A has for B is not valid in
> the scope that A is using.

So you're not arguing against scoped addresses per se, you're arguing
against having both scoped and global addresses on the same host?  I see the
same problem occuring if a host has two global addresses which are treated
differently by the firewall(s), so it's not truly a problem with SL.

The only SL-specific problem is when naughty applications pass network-layer
addresses across site boundaries; such applications must be "address aware"
anyways, so understanding SL isn't much of an incremental burden.