RE: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Tony Hain wrote:
> The only relationship SL has to renumbering is the ability to have
> connections persist while a network is intermittently attached to the
> public network. Renumbering is already solved in terms of the simplicity
> of moving hosts from one address space to another. The complex issues to
> work on are the places like firewall & router configurations that have
> explicit addresses in them. What is not fixable is the fact that apps
> will break if you change an address out from under them. This is a fact
> the app developers complaining about the complexity of scoped addresses
> continually overlook. The assertion is that all a network needs to do is
> change the addresses in use when connecting. Never mind that every local
> use app will break on every one of those events. That is not an
> acceptable approach.

Who said the addresses are *completely* revokated when the network
connectivity is intermittent?

More likely than not, those address advertisements have a lifetime longer
than the duration of the downtime (both preferred and valid in RFC2461
terms!) -- and whoops, everything works like a charm still!