Re: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> Way back in the dark ages, it was not uncommon to have multi-homed
> HOSTS: one leg on the ARPANET, the other arm on some local LAN
> segment.  The application and/or network stack on that machine was
> left with a decision to choose which interface address it ought to
> use when binding some local association endpoint address.  It's
> "easy" when the other end is on the same network; e.g., directly
> attached.

So unlike the dialup modem/wireless card/10+100 Ethernet/USB/Bluetooth
network connections on today's multihomed-host laptops; multihoming is
increasingly the common case, and it is not handled well.

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@ee.surrey.ac.uk>