IPv6, interNAT, Wi-Fi (not mobile)

Speaking of that ... I've been active in the community networking community for a little while and I've started to interest myself in mesh and/or ad-hoc wireless situations. (note that I'm specifically not interested in mobility). The application I'm interested in particularly is using WiFi to bring internet broadband to areas where it's not accessible currently. That could be either last-mile areas or rural areas. The concept of setting up a "mesh" network (surely an overloaded term if there is one ...) in the wifi community maps roughly speaking to "fixed ad-hoc wireless" in the research community, AFAICT.

With that in mind, there is currently only one publicly available, deployed "mesh" solution called Locustworld MeshAP, that uses private IPv4 subnets like 10.0.x.x and 192.168.x.x for all of the meshed access points and something called "WIANA" <http://wiana.org> to manage the nodes. Not very scaleable or friendly IMHO. Other private or community WLANs are mostly hand-configured ... there's another one by Seattle Wireless that I haven't looked closely at yet.

In addition I recently had to cope with the hassles of setting up an H.323 connection (with ohphoneX) from behind a firewall at both ends and immediately concluded that people on any kind of wireless mesh that uses NAT are going to be severely limited since they aren't truly a part of the internet.

So I would like to request discussion on this subject. I have a lot more to say about it but maybe I'll stop here for now ;-)

simon