Re: Financial state of the IETF - to be presented Wednesday

> Oh yes! And I *do* hope there will be some enlightenment, and not just
> heat..... it's easy to spend all the time nitpicking over some
> 10.000-dollar line item, when the smallest change needed to get the
> situation fixed runs into the hundreds of thousands.....

and i agree. which is why i'd like to see some apples-to-apples comparisons
to answer questions like this:

how much is the food subsidy really costing us? could we simply cover the
gap by bumping the registration cost by another $100/meeting?  (which is the
conclusion i come to after reading pekka's email)

what kind of a deal can we get if we do a multi-year contract with a hotel
in the "off" season? i.e., minneapolis in january, dallas in july.

does the cost of having meetings outside the continental us mean that we
should be charging a significantly higher attendence fee when we have
meetings there? or, should we simply have fewer of them outside the
continental us?

i think that each of these three things have implications in the six
figures...

/mtr

ps: and i still favor cutting back access to basic connectivity and nothing
more.