Re: Acronyms Et Al.

Florian Weimer wrote:

> I doubt that this distinction is helpful in our field.  Quite a
> few initialisms are brutally acronymed

And nouns brutally verbed....

> by significant numbers of speakers ("SQL",

SQL was, once upon a time, called SEQUEL, with the first E standing for
English.  Reasons given vary.  Some say vaguely "legal reasons".  One
professor said the French objected.  B-)

> "SCSI", "ACL", "TCAM").

TCAM is an example of a further phenomenon, the "partial acronym", at least when pronounced "tee-cam"....

--
David J. Aronson, Software Engineer for hire in Washington DC area.
See http://destined.to/program/ for online resume, references, etc.