Re: IETF Sub-IP area: request for input (fwd)

I might as well chime in on the actual question that was asked.

I guess I disagree with the majority of folks working in the sub-IP area.  I
never thought  it made  any sense to  move all  those working groups  out of
their  original areas  into  a "sub-IP"  area,  and I  never understood  the
"sub-IP area  hourglass architecture"  that was foisted  on us by  the IESG.
So I've never  thought that it makes much sense to  have a separate "sub-IP"
area, and I don't think it makes sense  to keep it as a separate area in the
future.

The advantage of maintaining the status quo is that everyone has gotten used
to the current ADs, and most  people figure that any change will make things
worse.  When new  ADs get involved, they tend  to "reinterpret" the charters
and  disrupt the work.   But if  one ignores  the possibility  of short-term
personality issues, I  think it would be better  to choose established areas
for the MPLS, CCAMP, and PPVPN WGs.