Obsolete it, when you cannot reform it? (Was: Re: new.net (was: RootServer DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You))

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, at 11:13 [=GMT-0600], Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Thus spake "Marc Schneiders" <marc@schneiders.org>
> > Since .com was running _on_ the root-servers.net until recently
> > without problems, what are we talking about?
> >
> > Naturally there won't be 1 million TLDs all at once. We could start
> > with a couple of hundreds. That would merely double the size of the
> > root.
>
> Okay, so when every foo.com. applies to become a foo., how will you control
> the growth?  What is to keep the root from becoming a flat namespace within
> a few weeks?  It won't take long for the masses realize that an SLD is not
> as prestigious as their own personal TLD...
>
> IMHO, the only solution to this problem is the elimination of gTLDs
> entirely.

Which would have the same result as what you predict for a few hundred
extra TLDs. The solution to the whole problem is of course to replace
DNS by something better. I've heard more than a few times in the past,
that it will be replaced by other functions/schemes/directories. Not
that I am aware of any that seems to qualify for all the functions so
far. Still, it would be quite on topic, if I may say so, to discuss
what we should develop to do a better job. Obsolete it, if you cannot
reform it?