Re: MUST/SHOULD and related terminology

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Martin Duerst wrote:
> This is a question that I hope some of you can help me with.
>
> The IETF uses the terms MUST/SHOULD/MAY very consistently,
> according to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt.

I think you mean RFC 2119.

> I seem to remember that there is also some terminology
> for implementations, in particular some terms for
> 1) implementations that do all the MUSTs, but not necessarily more

RFC 1812 uses the term "conditionally compliant" for this.

> 2) implementations that do all the MUSTs and all the SHOULDs

RFC 1812 uses the term "unconditionally compliant" for this.

> Can somebody point me to this terminology?

From p. 10 of RFC 1812:

  An implementation is said to be conditionally compliant if it
  satisfies all the relevant MUST, MUST IMPLEMENT, and MUST NOT
  requirements.  An implementation is said to be unconditionally
  compliant if it is conditionally compliant and also satisfies all the
  Relevant SHOULD, SHOULD IMPLEMENT, and SHOULD NOT requirements.  An
  implementation is not compliant if it is not conditionally compliant
  (i.e., it fails to satisfy one or more of the Relevant MUST, MUST
  IMPLEMENT, or MUST NOT requirements).

I don't know of an "umbrella" document like RFC 2119 that defines
these terms;  someone else may, however.

Mike