Re: Why spam is a problem.

> > From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>

> > > That is the same sort of reasoning that spammers use to justify
> > > their activities.
> >
> > it's also the same sort of reasoning that you used to justify
> > sending this mail to the IETF list.
>
> You know that is a false statement.

it's as true as your statement was, and for the same reason.

> You know that subscribers to this
> list ask to receive all of the good stuff with the drivel, except for
> the out-right spam and the messages from banned individuals.  You also
> know that no one asks to have their SMTP servers do a useless cycle
> in addition to receiving an auto-response.

they don't ask to have their DNS servers queried either.  nor do they ask
to have their SYNs ACKed.  actually very few users try to specify how a
service should be implemented, they just want it to work well.

> > >   - bounces would not bog down your mail servers, since you can discard
> > >    or otherwise deal with bounces with no more "bogging" than you are
> > >    spending poking at other people's systems.
> >
> > for a variety of reasons, that's simply not true for the cases where
> > I'm using it.
>
> How did I guess you would see things that way?  It is, of course,
> nonsense, because you could arrange to not receive any bounces just
> as some spammers do.

I *want* to receive some kinds of bounces, because they give me clues
about how well the system is working.  But I see absolutely no reason
to send large files to people who don't supply a valid return address,
nor to do database searches for them, nor to try to process commands
that they send to a command interpreter.

> > >    (Many spammers want to receive bounces to clean their
> > >    lists, because some big ISPs and others automatically black-list
> > >    SMTP clients after they've sent to too many bad addresses.)
> >
> > perhaps, but even the spammers who clean their recipient lists don't
> > necessarily use valid return addresses, and it's the return addresses
> > that I'm checking.
>
> That's nonsense that you would see as such if you were not stuck
> on rationalizing that which you know is dubious.  Spamemrs who want
> bounces to clean their lists do indeed use valid return addresses.

You must get spam from different folks than I do, then.  If the spammers
use SMTP RCPT to cull bad addresses from their lists I'm not at all
surprised, but most of the spam I see still comes from people who want
to hide their tracks for the actual spam.

> > >   - a mechanism that could really determine that addresses are valid
> > >    could be useful in a web page to provide immediate feedback to
> > >    users.  The reality of MX servers, firewalls, sendmail "catch-all"
> > >    maps, and other things make the RCPT command too unreliable to use
> > >    for that purpose.
> >
> > BS.  a simple syntax check isn't perfect either, but it's useful to
> > catch some errors.  this catches some more errors, without exhibiting
> > false positives.  it also has a cost, which is why I haven't
> > recommended it for general use.  but that doesn't mean it is useless.
>
> Charges of "BS" from someone who admits never having measure the
> effectiveness of the mechanism are ironic.

No, you're trying to insist that I define "effectiveness" in your terms.

Keith