Re: Why Spam is a problem

At 12:30 PM 8/15/2002 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:
>The root problem is social.

the root problem is indeed social, but I don't think we need laws on the
books to provide technical work-arounds. If we want to, for example, have
white-list people (people who are subscribers to the mailing list, or
people who work for our company, or people to whom we have sent the
appropriate goober in the past so they can now present it) present a
credential and in our own instance of a mailer process treat peers that
don't present the credential differently (such as r-e-a-l s-l-o-w-l-y),
that doesn't require a law, it merely requires the appropriate technical
specification and implementation.