Re: Why spam is a problem.

> That might be why spammers don't use EXPN/VRFY but instead use Rcpt_To
> to verify addresses in their lists.  If you watch an SMTP server that
> gets much spam, you'll see a lot of SMTP transactions aborted after
> Rcpt_To, even when the server answered with a 200-series status value.

there's no way to know whether the verification is being done by a
spammer or for legitimate purposes.

> I don't know which of various other mechanisms Keith Moore meant, but
> I doubt he meant EXPN/VRFY requests or Rcpt_to, because all three
> are wrecked by common uses of MX secondaries.

no I meant RCPT.  a 2xx response doesn't guarantee that the address
is valid, but a 5xx response is a reasonable assurance that the address
won't be able to receive mail.

> Note that "[verifying] whether or not the sender actually exists as
> a user on the mail server for the domain the e-mail is coming from"
> as stated does not make a lot of sense in the real world.

in many (not all) cases it's fairly safe to assume that a message from
an unreplyable address is not of interest to a recipient.  for instance,
I use this to filter traffic that is sent to a mail robot autoresponder,
because there's no point in having the robot process a message and
generate a response if the reply is going to bounce anyway.

Keith