Re: way out of the DNS problems? (former Re: delegation mechanism,Re: Trees have one root)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, David Conrad wrote:

> When Ira Magaziner, on behalf of the US government, unilaterally declared
> the US had the right and responsibility to "privatize" the Internet, no
> foreign government made any complaints that I'm aware of.  In fact, I
> suspect they were happy to have someone to blame.
>
> Water under the bridge.
>
> On 8/2/02 11:06 AM, "Keith Moore" <moore@cs.utk.edu> wrote:
>
> >> ICANN is not the controlling body for the ".".  That role belongs to the
> >> US Dept. of Commerce.
> >
> > The US DoC may claim that role, but they have no right to it.
> > The Internet is international, not some plaything of the US government.

the excuses and appologies begin.  lets clarify this.  no one in the us
government appropriately briefed anyone about the ramifications or
security issues behind the root. don't you know someone who knows someone
who knew jon postel and may have provided assistance when postel
highjacked the root from root server A to F.  maybe highjacked is too
strong a term .. i think the appologists claimed it was an experiment.

the only excuse i'll accept is outright ignorance on the part of the
United States Government administration and executive branches.  i do
beleive they had no idea how explosive control of root would be and the
power behind the root.

but the postel experiment of highjacking the root from A to F should of
alerted someone in the loop that the potential security implications and
potential privacy violations were immense when one controlled root.

the postel god is dead and the fools who would crown themselves are
drowning.  we have been left without leaders to root.  icann could of been
it but now it is too late.

i was consulted recently by one of doc's pacs on icann.  one of the
question i got back was if i were to save icann how would i go about it.
the only honest answer to that was that it could not be saved.  it's
simply too late and there are too many special interests at ICANN & DOC
trying to shield themselves from liability.

and these special interests are desparately trying to sell the icann lemon
to world governments for no better reason then to limit legal liability
and responsibility - this while corporate america starts jailing
executives.  the tension is high.  the risks are great ... and were
watching the end of the show.

regards
joe