Re: get technical, please? , Re: Trees have one root

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Caitlin Bestler wrote:

> Additionally, I think it is also important to recognize that
> domain names are now an integral part of trademarks and have
> meaning far beyond translating a name to an IP address.

This is not an accurate statement of the law in the US or any other
country I know of.

> Suppose the IETF were to somehow get the crazy idea to
> radically change the entire domain registration system, and
> as a result Disney no longer owned "disney.com"?
>
> Does anyone really think the courts would back the IETF?

The IETF wouldn't be involved.  The user of the other "disney.com" would
be.  And if it were

- their union
- people who think Disney is evil and have a non-commercial site saying so
- someone named Disney
- lots of other possibilities

it would be legal, too.
--