Re: DNS based URI without any set access semantics?

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:29:33PM -0400, Clark C . Evans wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 01:35:08PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> | ick.  please don't embed URIs in URNs.  that will just tempt people
> | to use the embedded URIs and not treat them as URNs.
>
> I'm not set at all on using URIsh syntax.  I just thought
> it'd be the easiest approach.
>
> | I can see wanting to have a URN that's based on DNS, but there shouldn't
> | be any expectation that you can derive a URI from the URN just by
> | modifying the syntax.  that defeats the whole purpose.
>
> Great.  So, should this thingy be a URN NID?  How about using
> reverse DNS, aka Java package names?
>
>    urn:dns:com.clarkevans:MyPackage
>
> Where the first three components are always small caps.

The problem is that URNs are required to be non-reasignable. So if
the part between the second and third colons is based off of a domain-name
then you will have to timestamp it somehow.

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael@neonym.net      |                              | http://www.neonym.net