Re: Netmeeting - NAT issue

> I will note that the one thing going for the home network NAT guys is
> that they have focused on making things work to the extent that they
> even have George Hamilton selling NATs at the poolside on TV commercials
> for Circuit City.

well, maybe he can solve the NAT problem, but I can't.

> The leading NAT gets the follow review on amazon.com:
> Average Customer Review: <4 stars out of 5>  Based on 682 reviews!
>
> To that extent, they may have found the right engineering and usability
> trade-offs for the home LAN scenario and perhaps even the common soho
> solution.  I did not see a single comment in the amazon reviews citing
> routing issues.

that's because when people do have problems with NATs, they don't see
it as a routing problem - they think there's a problem with the software.

in a just world, the NAT vendors would all be sued out of existence
for the harm they've done to the Internet.  in the real world, if you
can hire a famous personality to advertise your product on TV,
then by definition it must work well.

but at least folks in the IETF (mostly) know where the problems are.

Keith