Re: IETF Meetings - High Registration Fees

> This is something I have discussed with several people
> and every one seems to agree.
>
> The current registration fee of $575 is outrageously
> high. Even though IETF claims to be an open forum with
> no membership fee - you need $575*3=$1725 per year for
> registration fee alone for attending IETF sessions.
> This is effectively the membership fee for IETF. Sorry
> - not everyone can plan ten days in advance to get
> $125 reduction in fee. Just try to run a small
> consulting business or work for a 20 person start up -
> you would know what I mean.

bonney - setting aside, for now, the unstated assumption of your message that meetings are where the real work gets done, perhaps a starting point would be to start by asking what the money gets spent on. maybe 575 is high, maybe it is low, maybe it is just right.

looking at a balance sheet would provide a basis for a reasoned discussion as to whether the fees are reasonable, outrageous, or a bargain...

/mtr