Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

Keith and all,

  I don't think that I have seen any spam on this or the IETF@ietf.org
Mailing lists in quite a long time.  Ad I can only recall two incidences
where I have seen any spam on either list.  So I guess I am wondering
why there seems to be a perceived problem with spam on these
Mailing lists???

Keith Moore wrote:

> > And if I'm going to read a list, I'd
> > much rather it be well run than just easy to post to. I define well
> > run as _both_ spam-free and lacking in moderation delays.
>
> I define "well run" as having a high signal-to-noise ratio,
> low moderation delay, a well-defined moderation policy that
> evaluates messages visibly and impartially without considering
> who authored them, and a low barrier to successful posting
> of relevant content - even by non-subscribers.
>
> Expecting contributors to explicitly add their addresses to
> a whitelist using obscure knowledge that is specific to
> a particular list or software or moderator, and completely
> unrelated to the knowledge required to contribute to the list,
> imposes an unacceptably high barrier.
>
> But if we somehow made this process uniform from one list to
> another, spammers would just add themselves to the whitelist.
>
> Keith
>
> p.s. though it is intriguing to consider - what if the instructions
> for commenting on a draft were embedded somewhere within that
> draft, so people would actually have to read it before commenting?

Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com