IETF Meetings - High Registration Fees

This is something I have discussed with several people
and every one seems to agree.

The current registration fee of $575 is outrageously
high. Even though IETF claims to be an open forum with
no membership fee - you need $575*3=$1725 per year for
registration fee alone for attending IETF sessions.
This is effectively the membership fee for IETF. Sorry
- not everyone can plan ten days in advance to get
$125 reduction in fee. Just try to run a small
consulting business or work for a 20 person start up -
you would know what I mean.

Instead of seeing the cost going down due to
increasing attendance, and therefore seeing the gain
due to economy of scale, we have seen IETF
registration fees going up. This has resulted in that
a handful of big companies with deep pockets send army
of people who pretty much monopolise all IETF working
group sessions - thanks to the sheer number they can
afford to send and raise hands/do loud hums etc. This
is as close to rigging the outcomes of most IETF
sessions as you will get in any professional body.

It is time IETF/IESG/IAB stopped a handful of big
companies monopolising sessions, and restoring
openness of IETF.

What about setting the starting fee at about $200 and
then increasing it by $100 for every new person from
the same company. Or setting a fee at $1000 and then
giving 80% discount for the first person and reducing
the discount by 10% for every additional person from
the same organisation (all you need a organisation
HTML tag counter on the online registration for
tracking the registration per organisation). Yes, a
person can attend IETF as an individual at reduce
discounts but then that person should not be allowed
to list his companys name on his tag or any
publications that he may contribute unless he shows
proof of the recent change in employement from
individual status to a company's employment.

I hope IETF/IESG/IAB has courage to discuss this in
their plenary meetings.

==Bonney

ps: Also IETF should  allow no more than three authors
per RFC/internet drafts. Every one else should go to
the back page in the acknowledgement section. Also,
stop publishing author affiliations which is the root
cause of seeing dozen plus authors on a five page
draft. How ridiculous things can get! IEEE/and ACM
journals wouldn't publish a paper with that many names
when names show affiliations to dozen plus different
organizations. We are not talking about genuine team
efforts by a research group, but credit grabbing or
creating powerful gang like  relationships here by
some people.