Re: PPP

That top-layer-calls-next-layer etc ad-nauseam model seems to have been one
of the original ideas for how to implement a stack.

Actual current implementations do all kinds of wierd stuff, but mostly pass
around accumulating collections of buffers; so the payload buffer doesn't
get copied to accomodate each new header, instead the kernel has a second
buffer to contain the header (and later layers can add more).  What gets
passed around (by way of various queues and internal plumbing schemes) is a
structure of pointers to pieces of packet, which gets put together on
transmission, often by the DMA engine in the device or by the device driver.

The layering is just a conceptual model for the logic of what is going on,
and has no resemblance to the flow of control in a typical actual
implementation.  There are simple educational implementations that follow
the layering fairly closely, and they are interesting to read but tend not
to be practical for high performance applications.

--On Tuesday, 5 March 2002 11:02 p.m. -0800 Christopher Evans