Re: PPP

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Bill Cunningham wrote:

> whoa, it's in the TCP/IP suite, it's not. So let me get this straight. TCP
> and UDP are part of IP. TCP provides error sum UDP doesn't and is therefore
> faster than TCP.

Well, that's wrong.

TCP and UDP depend on IP and are part of the suite, in UDP checksums
are optional but turning them off is often shown to be a bad idea, and
UDP can be faster than TCP because it doesn't have Nagle or congestion
control or weird ack timings. This is well-documented in a vast number
of places.

> They are encapsulated in IP, which is put into the data
> bitstream of a PPP frame. Layer 1 is the physical layer, are bitstreams sent
> at that level.

bitstreams, frames, and Layer 1 are completely different things.

> BTW I have 56K dial-up no ISDN or DSL.

I have no contrary evidence.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>