Re: draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap-07 posted

Gorry,

This version adds the following in section 3.8:

   The purpose of this IANA-assigned port is for the operating system or
   a framework to receive and process DCCP-UDP datagrams for delivery to
   the DCCP module.  Because of this, the IANA-assigned port SHOULD NOT
   be used as the Destination UDP Port by a DCCP-UDP server listening
   for incoming DCCP-UDP packets and SHOULD NOT be used as a Source UDP
   Port by a client application sending DCCP-UDP packets.

I think this is saying that a system-wide DCCP-on-UDP encapsulation service SHOULD use the IANA registered port, while other applications that implement the encapsulation SHOULD use ephemeral port. The phrasing in the draft is very confusing though, and can be interpreted as meaning that the IANA-registered port can't be used at all.

Colin

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/