Re: AD review: draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-rtt-option-03

As an actual native English speaker on this thread, I would
use 'cannot' for 'cannot obtain', as it indicates an
impossibility, never a choice, but stay with 'can not' in
the other cases. I cannot live forever; I don't get the choice.
I can not care about this silly thread, but I choose to post
regardless. (yes, there are multiple meanings in that one...)

While running words together is very German, here that is not
always appropriate. When these are choices that could somehow
be done, rather than impossibilities, 'can not' is better -
but as imo 'can not' can also covers the other case of
impossibility where 'cannot' fits best, and the reverse is
not true, 'can not' can be the safer choice - particularly for
non-native speakers and technical documentation. (The can't
contraction covers both.) So Gerrit's choice is best, though in
those cases I'd reword the technical documenation and say
something like 'is unable to' to be perfectly clear that there
is no choice in the matter. That avoids can/may permission
ambiguity and confusion as well.

Some post-hoc rationale is at
http://alexfiles.com/cannot.shtml
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-cannot-and-can-not.htm

(Meta: we're discussing grammar nitpicks to a standards-track
update to an aspect of a protocol that's currently on life
support with a hack to get through NAT via UDP tunnelling to
try and get some installed base? When did the IETF jump the
shark?)