Re: New I-D revision: TFRC with sender-RTT estimate

Hi Gerrit,

On Aug 19, 2010, at 6:50 AM, gerrit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I want to know whether DCCP is in the process of being abandoned.

I don't understand the question. DCCP protocol is specified in a series of standards track RFCs, so it is out there for anyone to use. If there are errors or significant performance problems, then I think the IETF has the responsibility to correct them.

A different question is, how the IETF is going to organize the future DCCP maintenance work, if/when such is needed. The DCCP WG has been the place for that, but the chartered items are more or less done, so there have been plans to declare it closed, once the ongoing work is concluded. If the DCCP WG is decided to be closed, then the future necessary DCCP maintenance work needs to happen in some other working group.

Regarding your draft, we should discuss it here, because this still is the mailing list that the DCCP experts are assumed to follow. What I meant in the previous mail was, that we (the DCCP chairs) need to talk with Lars and David before we can decide on any actions (about WG status, etc.) on new drafts. There can be several possible paths how an draft can go forward to an RFC.

- Pasi