Re: What is segment size?

Tom -

I can't seem to find a clear definition of segment size in rfc3448bis.
Is it:

o the size of the user data in a packet, or
o the size of user data plus the transport protocol header, or
o the size of user data plus the transport protocol header plus the IP
header?

In CCID 3, it does seem to say that it's just the user data (section
5.3), but then it's only talking about when it's derived from the
Maximum Packet Size.  It doesn't say what it is when you compute a
running average or allow the app to specify something.

If I've missed the definition, sorry, but it is a long spec :-).  I
suspect that the common usage of segment size means user data only, but
it'd be nice to be explicit about it.

"Segment size" means user data only.
(I will add a sentence saying that explicitly.)

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/