[Announce] Release of the DCCP Plugin 0.5 for GStreamer

Hello list!

 I'm pleased to announce the second version (v0.5) of the DCCP
GStreamer Plugin. Please, let me know if you have any problem on
running the plugin, suggestions and improvements that you provided for
the plugin. The good news is that we used versions v0.4 and v0.5 to
stream multimedia contents over Internet and the plugin worked
according what was expected.

 What is GStreamer?
 ===============

 GStreamer [1] is a library that allows the construction of graphs of
media-handling components, ranging from simple Ogg/Vorbis playback to
complex audio (mixing) and video (non-linear editing) processing.
Applications can take advantage of advances in codec and filter
technology transparently. Developers can add new codecs and filters by
writing a simple plugin with a clean, generic interface. GStreamer is
released under the LGPL.

 What is DCCP?
 ============

 The Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) [2] is a transport
protocol that provides bidirectional unicast connections of
congestion-controlled unreliable datagrams. DCCP is suitable for
applications that transfer fairly large amounts of data and that can
benefit from control over the tradeoff between timeliness and
reliability.

 It is a message-oriented transport layer protocol that implements
reliable connection setup, teardown, ECN, congestion control, and
feature negotiation. It was published as RFC 4340  by IETF in March,
2006. Linux had an implementation of DCCP since version 2.6.14 and
 this continues to improve with each release. The latest official
version of the DCCP code can be found at [3] and at [4].

 What is DCCP Plugin for GStreamer?
 ===========================

 It is a plugin that allows transfer data over the network via DCCP
for GStreamer. According to all the tests that we proceeded, the
plugin is able to stream audio files, such as mp3, audio captured from
the microphone and raw data files.

 Output of gst-inspect for the dccp plugin
 =============================

 # gst-inspect dccp
 Plugin Details:
  Name:                 dccp
  Filename:             /usr/gstreamer//lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstdccp.so
  Version:              0.10.0.5
  License:              LGPL
  Source module:        gst-plugin
  Binary package:       DCCP
  Origin URL:           http://garage.maemo.org/projects/ephone

  dccpserversrc: DCCP server source
  dccpclientsink: DCCP client sink
  dccpserversink: DCCP server sink
  dccpclientsrc: DCCP client source

  4 features:
  +-- 4 elements

 TODO List
 ========

 - Make DCCP plugin works with Speex and RTP to transport audio
captured from microphone using ALSA GStreamer Plugin
 - Improve the implementation of the send mechanism adding the
Paraslash solution based on queue
 - Make internal elements share the socket fd between two elements
 - Implement multidccp, a multithread way to stream media for a set of hosts

 CHANGELOG
 ==========

 * Bugs fixes related to socket handle
 * Code refactoring

 How to contribute?
 ==============

 Please, contact me at leandroal [at] gmail [dot] com

 Where is DCCP Plugin?
 =================

 The DCCP plugin for GStreamer is under version control of the
E-Phone. The E-Phone (Embedded-Phone) project aims to develop a VoIP
client for Maemo platform based on DCCP transport protocol. In this
project we are also implementing the CCID-4 [5] IETF drafts on the
linux kernel.

 Development:
 http://garage.maemo.org/projects/ephone

 Mailing list:
 http://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/ephone-discuss/

 Download:
 https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=297
 or directly from
 https://garage.maemo.org/frs/download.php/3800/gst-dccp-0.5.tar.bz2

 How to use it with gst-launch command line?
 =================================

 A basic example to stream a multimedia file using ccid-3:

 * Server:
 gst-launch -v filesrc location=music.mp3 ! mp3parse ! dccpserversink
 port=9011 ccid=2

 * Client:
 gst-launch -v dccpclientsrc host=localhost port=9011 ! decodebin ! alsasink

 -- We also tested with mpg123, to use it: mpg123 dccp://localhost:9011

 Please, refer to the src/examples_app/README file for more examples.

 Is there any application examples?

 Yes, refer to the examples_app directory of the source file.

 Requirements

 - Linux Kernel with DCCP enabled
 - GStreamer
 - Additional GStreamer Plugins to make the example app works

 Best regards,
 Leandro.