Re: draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-00.txt

Hi,

one question we really need to answer is whether we want to go through the pains of specifying UDP encapsulations for all our transport protocols. We have on the table:

	* draft-phelan-dccp-natencap for DCCP
	* draft-tuexen-sctp-udp-encaps for SCTP
	* JDR's recent email on the MMUSIC list for TCP-over-UDP

All of them need to basically design very similar handshake/signaling exchanges, they all need a solution for the service identification issue, etc. This is undesirable.

If we need to encapsulate something in UDP for the purposes of NAT traversal, why aren't we encapsulating IP in UDP, on top of which we can run pretty much anything? Instead of requiring that DCCP stacks grow support for DCCP-over-UDP, why don't we simply require that DCCP stacks implement Teredo or something similar? Why are we solving the NAT traversal problem protocol-by-protocol rather than one time?

(The still ongoing NAT traversal discussion in HIP - which is building its own NAT traversal solution - has left me convinced that we should have pushed harder for the original "just use Teredo" proposal for HIP NAT traversal. We'd be long done.)

Lars