draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-00.txt

Hi All,

I've submitted draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-00.txt to the draft
depository.  I'm not sure where the notification will go -- it's an
individual submission and the automatic submission tool didn't give me a
way to tell it to send notification to dccp.  I believe it's in the
repository now, and it's also available at
http://www.phelan-4.com/dccp/draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-00.txt.

This draft defines DCCP-NAT, an alternative encapsulation building on a
UDP shim layer that will allow DCCP applications to interwork with
current NAT devices.  The motivation for this is nicely described in
Jonathan Rosenberg's new
draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt.  I didn't know this was
coming, but I think it has a point.

The approach here is different than the one that SCTP is appearing to
take (draft-tuexen-sctp-udp-encaps-01.txt).  That seems to insert a
couple of bump-in-the-wire encapsulation/decapsulation functions.
DCCP-NAT specifies a new native encapsulation.

Comments appreciated.

Tom P.