Re: DCCP-over-UDP [was draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-00.txt]

On 21 Feb 2008, at 18:25, Dan Wing wrote:
On 19 Feb 2008, at 18:43, Dan Wing wrote:
DCCP has an initiation handshake.  It seems effective, to me,
to define SRV records that are something like this:

        _foobar._dccp      SRV 0 0 1234 server.example.com.
        _foobar._dccp-udp  SRV 0 0 1234 server.example.com.

and protocol foobar then tries both a native DCCP handshake
(to DCCP port 1234) and a DCCP-over-UDP handshake (to UDP
port 1234).  We could do the native DCCP first and try
DCCP-over-UDP 100ms (or whatever you like) later.

This provides the incremental deployment we need (with
dccp-udp) and provides an easy path to real DCCP deployment
(where the UDP encapsulation is not necessary because there
are no meddling on-path IPv4 NATs).

Would this be feasible?

Sure, but is it needed? If you want DCCP-over-UDP encapsulation to be seamless, then surely you need to try it every time a native connection attempt fails. In that case, there's no need for separate signalling.

What do you mean by 'separate signaling' -- are you referring to
the SRV record with _dccp-udp?

Yes.

I worry that the DCCP-UDP port might need to be different than the DCCP-RAW port. Are you expecting them to always be the same? That should be a reasonable assumption most of the time, but I worry it might not work in some case.

I am expecting them to always be the same. My model is that a each instance of the DCCP transport can either send packets natively over IP, or tunnelled over UDP. Since it's a single transport instance, the same port space would be used for encodings of the data.

--
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/