Re: DCCP-over-UDP [was draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-00.txt]

> On 19 Feb 2008, at 18:43, Dan Wing wrote:
> > DCCP has an initiation handshake.  It seems effective, to me,
> > to define SRV records that are something like this:
> >
> >         _foobar._dccp      SRV 0 0 1234 server.example.com.
> >         _foobar._dccp-udp  SRV 0 0 1234 server.example.com.
> >
> > and protocol foobar then tries both a native DCCP handshake
> > (to DCCP port 1234) and a DCCP-over-UDP handshake (to UDP
> > port 1234).  We could do the native DCCP first and try
> > DCCP-over-UDP 100ms (or whatever you like) later.
> >
> > This provides the incremental deployment we need (with
> > dccp-udp) and provides an easy path to real DCCP deployment
> > (where the UDP encapsulation is not necessary because there
> > are no meddling on-path IPv4 NATs).
> >
> > Would this be feasible?
>
> Sure, but is it needed? If you want DCCP-over-UDP
> encapsulation to be
> seamless, then surely you need to try it every time a native
> connection attempt fails. In that case, there's no need for separate
> signalling.

What do you mean by 'separate signaling' -- are you referring to
the SRV record with _dccp-udp?  I worry that the DCCP-UDP port
might need to be different than the DCCP-RAW port.  Are you
expecting them to always be the same?  That should be a
reasonable assumption most of the time, but I worry it might
not work in some case.

-d