Re: DCCP-over-UDP [was draft-phelan-dccp-natencap-00.txt]

Hi Dan,

[snipped]
> What do you mean by 'separate signaling' -- are you referring to
> the SRV record with _dccp-udp?  I worry that the DCCP-UDP port
> might need to be different than the DCCP-RAW port.  Are you
> expecting them to always be the same?  That should be a
> reasonable assumption most of the time, but I worry it might
> not work in some case.

In the draft right now, DCCP-NAT UDP ports are totally separate from
DCCP ports.  The UDP port indicates the port that the DCCP service as a
whole is running on.  The DCCP port that the application is using is
carried in the DCCP-NAT generic header (and can/should be the same as
the port used for DCCP-RAW).

It would be possible to use the UDP ports directly as DCCP ports, but
that would mean that you couldn't use them for UDP apps, so that doesn't
seem like a good idea.

So, for example, SDP for DCCP-NAT would need to carry two ports; one for
the UDP port that the DCCP service is running on, and the other for the
DCCP port.

Tom P.