Re: DCCP for VoIP

I *think* you are suggesting, the following, but would like to be sure:

 * Feedback SHOULD/MUST NOT be less than once per RTT
 * Feedback MAY be more,
	but SHOULD be less than X percent of forward bandwidth?

Have I understood?

We are refining TFRC at this moment. Although may not be able to pin-down the spec. based on currenty experience, IMHO it would be great if the wording of TFRC.bis (3448.bis) were to be compatible with these ideas.

Gorry

Ingemar Johansson S (LU/EAB) wrote:

Hi
One issue that may be important to know in this aspect is that there
will probably need to be some limit to how often feedback is transmitted
esp. for VoIP applications with low birate.

Low bitrate VoIP typically have a bitrate of 5-12kbps (payload bitrate)
and in 3GPP the bearers that are specified (today) for these services
have an RTT in the range 200-700ms depending on load and coverage
situation. One of the worries regarding DCCP is that feedback cost too
much and having more than one feedback per RTT will further increase the
system load.

One solution may be that an extra condition is added that specifies that
feedback should not consume more than X percent of the total transmitted
bitrate combined with the rule that feedback should be transmitted
atleast once per RTT. Maybe a little odd formulation but hopefully the intention is
understood. Anyway, with this rule feedback would not consume an
unreasonable amount of BW for low bitrate VoIP applications.

Ingemar