Re: Comments on DTLS/DCCP I-D

ACK, for applications that do not need a new PORT for a new protocol version, they should not need a new SC.

I am now accumulating enough material for a new rev -01 of the SC draft, which is great.

Gorry

Phelan, Tom wrote:

Hi Gorry,

I'm incorporating your comments into DTLS over DCCP, and I think the
comment involving the effect of new DTLS versions on Service Codes is
more general than just DTLS and probably will deserve some text in the
SC draft.

So I've added the following to the DTLS draft:

It is RECOMMENDED that an application migrating to a new version of DTLS
keep the same DCCP Service Code used for the old version and allow DTLS
to provide the version negotiation support.  If the application
developers feel that the new version of DTLS provides significant new
capabilities to the application that will change the behavior of
middleboxes, they MAY use a new Service Code.

I suggest you add something similar to the SC draft, e.g.:

It is RECOMMENDED that a new version of an application keep the same
DCCP Service Code used for the old version and provide version
negotiation support at the application level.  If the application
developers feel that the new version provides significant new
capabilities that will change the behavior of middleboxes, they MAY use
a new Service Code.

Tom P.