Re: Comments on DTLS/DCCP I-D

Phelan, Tom wrote:

Hi Gorry,

[clipped]

8) Do you propose to document some Service Code values for

IETF-defined

services, e.g. Define some SC allocations for  RTP/DTLS/DCCP?

I don't see any "generic" applications that should be defined (if RTP
wants to use DTLS, then I think whoever wants to do it should define
it).
OK. I guess the first person with a DTLS stack over DCCP should do this, though before they use a SC that's not assigned.

Given DTLS' need for authentication, usually via a certificate on
at least one side, I don't think we should define the generic services
in your SC draft as also operating over DTLS.

Fine. People shouldn't start using unassigned SC in their apps!

I'm open to counterarguments, though :-).

Tom P.

Gorry