Re: SV: DCCP voice quality experiments

Lars Eggert skrev:

2. You have an experimental set-up. Why do you not also set-up real
receivers (players) so that the perceptual quality can be evaluated, instead
of, or in addition to, your "E-model R-score"

You mean use PESQ as a metric instead of the E-model? We could have done that, but most related work has used the E-model and we wanted to more directly compare our results to theirs. Also, it would have required additional work and we were not sure that we'd get significantly more precise results this way.

I think Arne meant to actually do subjective evaluations. The issue I see with this is that the quality you get will be heavily dependent on the jitter-buffer implementation and error concealment implemented in the player. Using a streaming player or something similar for these subjective measurements would be providing results that are ignoring a couple of important factor, like delay.

I think if one want to have subjective results from this one need to do quite serious implementation that tries its best to provide high quality.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund@xxxxxxxxxxxx