Re: DCCP voice quality experiments

> I noticed in section IV.A you say no experimental results are
> available where 0ms delay. I have had problems on Linux also with no
> delay  (well it was 0.26 ms) in that throughput fluctuates
> significantly. Is this also what you were experiencing? I am wondering
> whether CCID3 has real problems when delay is very low. In other tests
> when I have 1.2 msec delay due to added hop the problem goes away.

We experienced that with very small delays the behavior of the connection
became unpredictable in the way you mentioned, especially when using the
small packets variant and allowing a higher send rate. We were not sure if
this was a design problem or an implementation problem.

I'm not sure of this either. You would think that if we are also
getting it on Linux it is a design issue but that is a false
assumption since the Linux CCID3 code originated from the WAND CCID3
code which originated from the Lulea code which is on BSD and is
probably what the current code is based on.

I'll look into it some more as time permits.

Ian
--
Ian McDonald
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4