Re: DCCP voice quality experiments

Hi Ian,

Lars replied so fast that I did not have time to send him also my answers.
Here they are inline:

> On 8/2/06, Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we finally have the results of our voice quality experiments over
>> DCCP written up: http://larseggert.de/tmp/2006-dccp-voip-quality.pdf
>>
>> We'd appreciate any feedback you may have on this!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lars
>> --
>> Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories
>>
> Lars,
>
> Finally read through this in detail and have some feedback.
>
> In the first paragraph of the introduction you use "looses" where it
> should be "loses".
>
> I noticed in section IV.A you say no experimental results are
> available where 0ms delay. I have had problems on Linux also with no
> delay  (well it was 0.26 ms) in that throughput fluctuates
> significantly. Is this also what you were experiencing? I am wondering
> whether CCID3 has real problems when delay is very low. In other tests
> when I have 1.2 msec delay due to added hop the problem goes away.

We experienced that with very small delays the behavior of the connection
became unpredictable in the way you mentioned, especially when using the
small packets variant and allowing a higher send rate. We were not sure if
this was a design problem or an implementation problem.

> In section IV.B you note that the packet size is significantly smaller
> than the maximum sized packet size. In section 5.3 of RFC4342 (CCID3)
> it says that the packet size s can be set, or the MSS can be used
> (which is what it appears yours does) or the implementation can work
> out the average packet size.

In the case of voice traffic this choice becomes important, since the
packet size is so much smaller than the typical maximum segment size. We
chose to approximate s through the average packet size (thereby limiting
the sending rate somehow) since the s factor later comes into the
computation of the initial loss interval (and the associate loss rate).
Having used an s value much higher than the actual packet size would have
resulted in a huge loss rate coming out of the formula and a very limited
send rate after the transition to congestion avoidance.