Re: DCCP voice quality experiments

On 8/2/06, Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

we finally have the results of our voice quality experiments over
DCCP written up: http://larseggert.de/tmp/2006-dccp-voip-quality.pdf

We'd appreciate any feedback you may have on this!

Thanks,
Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories

Lars,

Finally read through this in detail and have some feedback.

In the first paragraph of the introduction you use "looses" where it
should be "loses".

I noticed in section IV.A you say no experimental results are
available where 0ms delay. I have had problems on Linux also with no
delay  (well it was 0.26 ms) in that throughput fluctuates
significantly. Is this also what you were experiencing? I am wondering
whether CCID3 has real problems when delay is very low. In other tests
when I have 1.2 msec delay due to added hop the problem goes away.

In section IV.B you note that the packet size is significantly smaller
than the maximum sized packet size. In section 5.3 of RFC4342 (CCID3)
it says that the packet size s can be set, or the MSS can be used
(which is what it appears yours does) or the implementation can work
out the average packet size.

In Linux we allow socket options to set s for the TFRC calculation
which helps with packet sizes being substantially smaller than the
MSS. However it won't help solve the problem that occurs due to idle
periods as you describe later on - but only help for continuous
streams.

I too agree strongly with the parts about TFRC being passed upon
TCP-Reno which is not used in modern stacks in it's original form.
When I use iperf on modern TCP variants I see significantly higher
throughput than the TCP throughput equation predicts. This does mean
that TFRC is using less than it's fair share as you say.

Is the source code freely available for your modified ttcp and also
for your calculation of r? If it is I would like to be able to look at
the code to see if it can be of assistance in my research.

This is a great paper overall.

Regards,

Ian
--