Re: 2nd Fan quirk for Thinkpad P50 causes spurios touchpad/trackpoint events on ThinkPad L570

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Jouke Witteveen wrote:
> > Apparently it has to be fixed properly, because if I understood the
> > issue correctly, every two-character quirk will trigger on *any*
> > three-character model that starts with those two characters.
>
> This should be (and hopefully is) incorrect.
> In the tpacpi_check_quirks function, equality between the quirk bios
> and the actual model bios is tested. For two-character models there
> are three nonzero bytes, for two character models there are only two.

Hmm, good.  Need to check the parser that is feeding it, though.

One actually has to parse a DMI string like aaETxxWW (old models) and
aaaET????  (need to actually verify how the ending goes on three-char
models).  This for BIOS.  For EC, it used to be HT instead of ET for
H8S-based embedded controllers, maybe it changed for the new ARC-based
embedded controllers.

> That said, I do wonder why the fan quirks redefine all matching macros
> (TPACPI_FAN_Q*) and don't use the generic ones (TPACPI_Q*). This looks
> like an easy thing to clean up.

They used to have some minor differences.  A cleanup patch is likely
fine, as long as it is tested.

--
  Henrique Holschuh