Re: 2nd Fan quirk for Thinkpad P50 causes spurios touchpad/trackpoint events on ThinkPad L570

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 6:06 AM Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > > Ping. Do you need any additional information?
> >
> > Sounds like we need tighter check for the quirk, maybe based on
> > DMI/Board name? Can we revert the offending commit for now?
>
> Apparently it has to be fixed properly, because if I understood the
> issue correctly, every two-character quirk will trigger on *any*
> three-character model that starts with those two characters.

This should be (and hopefully is) incorrect.
In the tpacpi_check_quirks function, equality between the quirk bios
and the actual model bios is tested. For two-character models there
are three nonzero bytes, for two character models there are only two.
Therefore, a two-character quirk should not trigger on any
three-character model.

> We could revert the three-character quirk support, but this would cause
> regressions as well.

I doubt this would fix anything. Maybe the bios id for the L570 that
is used by the driver is not the one Jaak Ristioja reported? The
detected string is reported in the dmesg output.

That said, I do wonder why the fan quirks redefine all matching macros
(TPACPI_FAN_Q*) and don't use the generic ones (TPACPI_Q*). This looks
like an easy thing to clean up.

Regards,
- Jouke