Re: 2nd Fan quirk for Thinkpad P50 causes spurios touchpad/trackpoint events on ThinkPad L570

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 6:32 AM Jaak Ristioja <jaak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 27.08.2018 19:22, Jaak Ristioja wrote:
> > > Upgrading Linux from 4.16 to 4.17, a ThinkPad L570 started receiving
> > > spurious input events, mostly right mouse button click events, but also
> > > cursor jumps.
> > >
> > > I have not attempted to understand whether these events come from the
> > > trackpoint or touchpad or some other driver, but I managed to bisect
> > > this issue to commit a986c75a7df0 titled "platform/x86: thinkpad_acpi:
> > > Add 2nd Fan Support for Thinkpad P50" by Alexander Kappner.
> > >
> > > Apparently the quirk mitigation is applied when the BIOS version begins
> > > with N1. The BIOS version on the L570 in question is N1XET57W (1.35 )
> > > which is probably why this commit causes the described problems on the
> > > ThinkPad L570. How exactly? - I don't know.
> > >
> > > The issue did not reproduce when running some stable 4.17 and 4.18
> > > kernels with commit a986c75a7df0 reverted.
> > >
> > > Please fix this for future kernels. Thanks! :)
> >
> > Ping. Do you need any additional information?
>
> Sounds like we need tighter check for the quirk, maybe based on
> DMI/Board name? Can we revert the offending commit for now?

Apparently it has to be fixed properly, because if I understood the
issue correctly, every two-character quirk will trigger on *any*
three-character model that starts with those two characters.

We could revert the three-character quirk support, but this would cause
regressions as well.

--
  Henrique Holschuh