Lenovo T400s

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 (Kernel 2.6.32) on my T400s. If I power on the
notebook and press the mute button it turns to red and sound is muted
(really muted, no beeps). After starting the Linux kernel the button
light turns off. After that I get all the annoying beeps from wake up
after suspend, power off and so on. The sound stays off furthermore.
After some pressings to the mute button the sound switches on or off but
the red light comes never. So independend from audio state I get the
unwanted system beeps. I want a really quiet notebook. On Windows 7
everything is fine, same on Ubuntu 9.10 (Kernel 2.6.31). Only the
current Ubuntu and the alpha of the upcoming version 10.10 have this
behavior of the sound button. A T510 works perfect on 10.04 (sound is
completely off). Is there an option to get this behavior on a T400s too?

Kind regards
Jan